Thursday, August 17, 2023

“being frum or normal”? comments

 Hi Reb Daniel,

Hope you are well.

Re “being frum or normal”?

I wanted to share 3 things about Rav Yaakov ZTL (to our generation no last name is needed).

Two are first hand and one heard directly from the person who spoke to RY.

… I attended the chasuna of a close friend, grandson of RY.  (You may know R  from Midreshet Rachel?)

As I’m sure you know RY was opposed to mechitzas at chasunas.

In deference to that, there was no mechitzah.

There was a circle of men and a circle of women.  The distance between them was not huge.

It is etched in my memory seeing RY watching the dancing with a huge smile on his face.

As I believe you said, RY obviously held that not every situation that may bring  a challenge must be avoided or banned.

… I personally asked RY if you may accept the hand of a women who extends it in order to avoid embarrassing her.


He did not know me personally and I did not mention that I am in kiruv.

His exact words were , “mitstama mir ken meykel, as zis nor a derech eretz.”

Same principle, I believe.

… I heard directly from a chashuv yungerman in Lakewood (he sadly was niftar and I may the only person that knows this first hand).

He asked RY if it is appropriate for  yungerleit to ride bicycles.

He answered, “Absolutely, they need to get exercise.”

And , without being asked, RY went on to say, “the wives should also ride, they also need exercise”.

When the yungerman asked him about tznius?

RY responded, “that’s why they have different bikes for women”.

Same principle.

All the best,

M K

By the way, I often use your Yad Moshe.  

I actually want the content publicized as I think it’s a mitzva to preserve these things for posterity, especially given the direction of our Torah world.

===========================

Reb Yaakov himself rode a bike in camp until he was in his 70's because of concern that a fall could lead to broken bones - DT

No comments :

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED!
please use either your real name or a pseudonym.