Monday, May 3, 2021

Torah scholars and political leaders need to bear grudges and seek revenge and be unforgiving

 Yoma (22b)     Rab Judah said in the name of Rab: Why was Saul punished? Because he forewent the honour due to himself, as it is said: But certain base fellows said: ‘How shall this man save us?’ And they despised him and brought him no present. But he was as one that held his peace, and it is written [immediately following that]: Then Nahash the Ammonite came up and encamped against Jabesh-gilead. R. Johanan further said in the name of R. Simeon b. Jehozadak: Any scholar, [23a]who does not avenge himself and retain anger like a serpent, is no [real] scholar.1 But is it not written: Thou shalt not take vengeance nor bear any grudge? — That refers to monetary affairs, for it has been taught: What is revenge and what is bearing a grudge? If one said to his fellow: ‘Lend me your sickle’, and he replied ‘No’, and to-morrow the second comes [to the first] and says: ‘Lend me your axe’! and he replies: ‘I will not lend it to you, just as you would not lend me your sickle’ — that is revenge. And what is bearing a grudge? If one says to his fellow: ‘Lend me your axe , he replies ‘No’, and on the morrow the second asks: ‘Lend me your garment’, and he answers: ‘Here it is. I am not like you who would not lend me [what I asked for]’ — that is bearing a grudge. But [does] not [this prohibition apply to] personal affliction? Has it not been taught: Concerning those who are insulted but do not insult others [in revenge], who hear themselves reproached without replying, who [perform good] work out of love of the Lord and rejoice in their sufferings, Scripture says: But they that love Him be as the sun when he goeth forth in his might? — [That means,] indeed, that he keeps it in his heart [though without taking action]. Rut Raba said: He who passes over his retaliations has all his transgressions passed over? — [That speaks of the case] that an endeavour was made to obtain his reconciliation, and his consent is obtained

ערוך השולחן יורה דעה סימן רמג

סעיף ח

מדינא דגמ' [מ"ק ט"ז א] החכם עצמו יכול לעשות דבר זה לכבודו לעם הארץ שפקר כנגדו וא"צ לא עדות ולא התראה ואין מתירין לו עד שירצה החכם וכמ"ש בסעי' הקודם ואם מת החכם באים ג' בני אדם ומתירים לו ואם רוצה החכם למחול לו ולא לעשות בו דין האמור הרשות בידו ואף על פי שיש רשות לחכם לעשות כן לכבודו אינו שבח לת"ח שינהוג עצמו בכך בד"א שחירפוהו בסתר אבל אם חירפוהו בפרהסיא אסור למחול על כבודו עד שיבקש ממנו מחילה ויסלח לו ובכיוצא בזה אמרו כל ת"ח שאינו נוקם ונוטר כנחש אינו ת"ח כשאינו עושה לכבודו שלא בשביל כבוד התורה בלבד וכתב רבינו הרמ"א סעי' ח' די"א דבזמה"ז אין רשות לת"ח לעשות כן לכבודו לעשות דין לעצמו אא"כ אחרים עושים כן ויש חולקים ובלבד שיהא מוחזק וראוי לכך עכ"ל ועוד כשרק כוונתו לשמים בשביל כבוד התורה בלבד: 
 
Sefer Mitzvot Gadol, Negative Commandments 12

כל הנוטר (א) לאחד מישראל עובר בל"ת שנ' לא תטור מפרש ביומא [ד' כ"ג] ובת"כ [קדושים] (ב) מה היא הנטירה כגון ראובן שאמר לשמעון השאילני קרדומך ענהו שמעון איני משאילך למחר נצטרך שמעון לראובן אמר לו השאילני קרדומך ענהו ראובן הריני משאילך ואיני כמותך ולא אשלם לך מעשיך העושה זה וכיוצא בו הר"ז עובר בלא תטור, עוד שם [ביומא] א"ר יוחנן (ג) כל תלמיד חכם שאינו נוקם ונוטר איבה כנחש אינו ת"ח (ד) והכתיב לא תקום ולא תטור ההוא בממון הוא דכתיב (ה) ומסיק שם דת"ח צריך שיהא עלוב ולא עולב שומע חרפתו ואינו משיב ולעולם דנקיט ליה בליביה וכי מפייסין ליה מפייס (ו) וכתב רבי' משה [סוף פ"ז דהל' ת"ת] דהתם מיירי בת"ח שביזוהו בפרהסיא שאסור לו למחול על כבודו ואם מחל נענש מפני שזה בזיון התורה אבל אם לא ביזוהו בפרהסיא לא ושאר כל אדם שמתקוטטים עם חבריהם אע"פ שאין לאו בזה אם ינקום מחבירו מדת חסידות הוא להעביר על מדותיו כדאמרינן כל המעביר על מדותיו מעבירין לו על כל פשעיו וכן דוד הי' משתבח במדותיו הטובות ואמר אם גמלתי שולמי רע וגו' וההוא חסידא [פרק בתרא דמגילה דף כ"ח] דכל אימת דסליק לפורייה הוה אמר שרי ומחיל כל מאן דמצערן לי:



3 comments :

  1. Kalonymus HaQatanMay 3, 2021 at 5:42 PM

    Very interesting. Is R. jochanan's opinion halacha, or a minority view?

    ReplyDelete
  2. כל הנוטר (א) לאחד מישראל עובר בל"ת שנ' לא תטור מפרש ביומא [ד' כ"ג] ובת"כ [קדושים] (ב) מה היא הנטירה כגון ראובן שאמר לשמעון השאילני קרדומך ענהו שמעון איני משאילך למחר נצטרך שמעון לראובן אמר לו השאילני קרדומך ענהו ראובן הריני משאילך ואיני כמותך ולא אשלם לך מעשיך העושה זה וכיוצא בו הר"ז עובר בלא תטור, עוד שם [ביומא] א"ר יוחנן (ג) כל תלמיד חכם שאינו נוקם ונוטר איבה כנחש אינו ת"ח (ד) והכתיב לא תקום ולא תטור ההוא בממון הוא דכתיב (ה) ומסיק שם דת"ח צריך שיהא עלוב ולא עולב שומע חרפתו ואינו משיב ולעולם דנקיט ליה בליביה וכי מפייסין ליה מפייס (ו) וכתב רבי' משה [סוף פ"ז דהל' ת"ת] דהתם מיירי בת"ח שביזוהו בפרהסיא שאסור לו למחול על כבודו ואם מחל נענש מפני שזה בזיון התורה אבל אם לא ביזוהו בפרהסיא לא ושאר כל אדם שמתקוטטים עם חבריהם אע"פ שאין לאו בזה אם ינקום מחבירו מדת חסידות הוא להעביר על מדותיו כדאמרינן כל המעביר על מדותיו מעבירין לו על כל פשעיו וכן דוד הי' משתבח במדותיו הטובות ואמר אם גמלתי שולמי רע וגו' וההוא חסידא [פרק בתרא דמגילה דף כ"ח] דכל אימת דסליק לפורייה הוה אמר שרי ומחיל כל מאן דמצערן לי:

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Torah scholars and political leaders need to bear grudges” Beautiful. Torah thought on this week’s double parsha בהר בחקתי.
    “If you follow My statutes, and keep My commandments, and do them” (Leviticus 26:3).
    ויקרא פרשת בחקותי פרק כו פסוק ג
    אִם בְּחֻקֹּתַי תֵּלֵכוּ וְאֶת מִצְוֹתַי תִּשְׁמְרוּ וַעֲשִׂיתֶם אֹתָם:
    רש"י ויקרא פרשת בחקותי פרק כו פסוק ג
    אם בחקתי תלכו - יכול זה קיום המצות, כשהוא אומר ואת מצותי תשמרו, הרי קיום המצות אמור, הא מה אני מקיים אם בחקתי תלכו, שתהיו עמלים בתורה:
    ואת מצותי תשמרו - הוו עמלים בתורה על מנת לשמור ולקיים, כמו שנאמר (דברים ה א) ולמדתם אותם ושמרתם לעשותם:
    “And Moses called unto all Israel, and said unto them: Hear, O Israel, the statutes and the ordinances which I speak in your ears this day, study them, and observe them faithfully.” (Deuteronomy 5:1).

    In אם בחקתי chapter 26 God promises us blessings if we follow Torah of Moses and admonitions if we don’t.
    Avodah Zarah 5a
    “Our Rabbis taught: In the verse, “If you follow My statutes, and keep My commandments, and do them” (Leviticus 26:3) the word if is used in the sense of an appeal, similar to the verse, “If only My people would listen to Me, If Israel would follow My paths, then would I subdue their enemies almost, strike their foes again and again.” (Psalms 81:14-15). Or in the verse, “May they always be of such mind, to revere Me and follow all My commandments, that it go well with them, and with their children for ever!” (Deuteronomy 5:26)”

    My theory. Studying Torah, daf hayomi, God will arrange that rains will come, no enemies, all good. I’m a Cohain never missed making the blessing the 30 years I moved to Israel. Thank you God in Heaven all Your good you do for me.
    Yes, I’m allowed to pursue my 30-year battle Aranoff v Aranoff. Here’s my letter today:
    “1.I request permission to submit these papers concerning my Motion Number 359 Return Date April 19, 2021. I'm attaching an affidavit of service proving I mailed by UPS true copy to Susan, to Fordham University, and to TIAA.
    5.I lost my property, house and pension, due to fraud. I lost a PhD in economics due to fraud. I've been trying for 30 years to overturn NYS court rulings; rulings I don't understand. I turned to lawyers, police, government agencies, to TIAA, to Susan, to Fordham University, to Commission on Judicial Conduct, etc. If the Court of Appeals grants my motion number 359 Return Date April 19, 2021, the Court will then see the fake/phony March 7, 1995 Rigler/Rothbart Order of Separation. This will be like the 3 videos shown to the jury in the Judge Gerald Garson trial; convincing proof the late Judge Garson took bribes. Very hard to prove in a court that a judge takes bribes. I ask the court to be serious and to investigate my complaints. I heard nothing from the court since the court sent me the April 1, 2021 ruling. TIAA tells me that I must first get a court ruling before they will pay me my pension in full.”

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED!
please use either your real name or a pseudonym.