Wednesday, May 3, 2023

A psychologist shares 6 toxic phrases ‘highly narcissistic’ people always use—and how to deal with them

 https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/30/psychologist-shares-toxic-phrases-highly-narcissistic-people-always-use-and-how-to-respond.html

The world is full of difficult personalities, but the one that’s impossible to avoid is the narcissist. They are usually the most insecure people in the room, but have established a way of appearing ultra-confident.

As a psychologist who studies narcissism, I’ve found that, in most cases, highly narcissistic people are masters of gaslighting. Their primary goal in a relationship is to offset their insecurity by controlling and manipulating others.

Here are six phrases that they always use — and how to deal with them:

4 comments :

  1. Garnel IronheartMay 3, 2023 at 2:38 PM

    I disagree with some of them:

    >I’m sorry you feel that way.
    Not necessarily narcissistic. I constantly deal with people who, having Googled what they think they need, come in and make unreasonable or incorrect demands from me. When I refuse to comply they get very upset. This line is one I use because I know I'm not wrong and I have no need to apologize for doing my job properly.

    > I’m a busy person. I don’t have time for this.

    People come for frivolous things and insist on taking up more and more of my time, completely oblivious to others who are waiting with far more serious concerns. Yes, sometimes this line is important. I have to attend to the guy having a stroke. I don't have time for your chronic eczema right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to feel that psychobabble has limited use. I'm sorry you feel that way. I'd respond further, but I'm a busy person and don't have time for this.

    Uh, I mean....

    NOW I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you feel that way.

    (Couldn't resist. I'm a snarkcissist.)

    I'd write more. But I'm a busy person....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kalonymus HaQatanMay 4, 2023 at 12:25 AM

    there are daily articles on various psychology blogs, magazines, youtube, mailing lists etc about narcissists and the tricks they use, of characteristics of their behaviour and speech.

    This particular article is quite weak.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED!
please use either your real name or a pseudonym.