Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Trump withholds praise for John Lewis, notes he 'didn't come to my inauguration'



President Trump, in a wide-ranging interview with "Axios on HBO" that aired Monday night, refused to praise late civil rights icon and Rep. John Lewis, citing Lewis' decision not to attend his inauguration and State of the Union speeches.

"I don't know. I really don't know. I don't know. I don't know John Lewis," Trump said. "He chose not to come to my inauguration. He chose -- I don't -- I never met John Lewis actually, I don't believe."

Swan then asked Trump whether he thinks Lewis and his story are "impressive."

"I can't say one way or the other," Trump said. "I find a lot of people impressive. I find many people not impressive."

Swan prodded Trump to answer the question, to which the president responded, "[h]e didn't come to my inauguration. He didn't come to my State of the Union speeches. And that's OK. That's his right, and, again, nobody has done more for Black Americans than I have."

No comments :

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED!
please use either your real name or a pseudonym.