Sunday, October 4, 2026

IDF paratrooper Yosef Haguel, associated with famed 'Ballad for a Medic,' dies at 80

 https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-910522

Famed IDF paratrooper Yosef Haguel, who was associated with the song Balladah L’Hovesh (Ballad for a Medic), died on Saturday at the age of 80.

During the Six Day War, Haguel fought in Battalion 28 of the Paratroopers Brigade in the battle against the Jordanian Legion in east Jerusalem.

Haguel was seriously wounded in the battle, and the company medic, Shlomo Epstein, treated him under fire. When mortar shells were fired toward them, Epstein shielded Haguel with his body to protect him and was killed on the spot by a direct hit.

https://www.hebrewsongs.com/?song=baladahlachovesh

BALLAD FOR THE MEDIC

They slowly advanced. Everything was calm.

Against the river, with the reeds rustling

suddenly a lightning bolt roared,

and one [person] yelled out: [I'm] wounded!

I'm coming - the medic replied to him.

We went over a mine! the wounded yelled,

I'm here, by your side - the medic replied to him.


A hail of fire is coming down,

a heavy fragmentary hail,

across the river, to the murmuring reeds

Leave me here - the wounded requested,

leave the non-sense

- the medic then answered him.

Save yourself - the wounded requested.

I'm staying with you - the medic answered him.


And the two remained alone,

and the field was open.

And the two remained alone,

exposed to the fire.

We are [about to] perish

- the wounded then muttered,

hold me well

- the medic answered him.

You were wounded too

- the wounded them muttered

never mind, it's not too bad

- the medic answered him.


The fire is very heavy! It's very hard to move.

Just don't despair, just don't despair,

I'll always remember you

- the wounded then pledged.

Just don't fall - the medic then muttered.

I'm yours till the day you die

- the wounded then pledged.

Today's the day I die

- the medic answered him.


Suddenly a dust cloud, suddenly the wind rose,

and a shaddow over the ground,

it approached loudly.

We're saved! They're coming!

- the wounded then whimpered,

but he did not hear a word out of the medic.

My brother, my very brother!

- the wounded then whimpered.

Across the river, the reeds are rustling,

my brother, my very brother

my brother, my very brother

my brother!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED!
please use either your real name or a pseudonym.